Every now and then, I try to male something a bit healthy for the tribe. What we have here is Not So Dirty Rice. I use brown rice, veggies, and turkey sausage. This ends up being a very easy and filling dish, and the kids love it…even with all of the veggies hidden in there. You can customize it to your liking and diet. I included some other alternatives throughout the recipe.
What you will need:
- 2 cups Brown Rice (I used 4)
- Frozen vegetables (I used 2 of the asparagus stir fry packages)
- 4 cups chicken broth (I used 8)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (I use the jarred minced garlic because I HATE peeling and mincing garlic…did I mention I hated it?)
- 1 package turkey sausage (I used 2) (Note: You can use andouille sausage, shrimp, chicken)
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning (I make my own with this recipe)
Pour the chicken broth (you may also use vegetable broth if you are about that vegetarian life) and the rice in a large pot and bring to a boil. After broth comes to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and place a lid on the pot for about 30-40 minutes until all broth has been absorbed. If you taste the rice and its a bit crunchy, add a little water (or more broth if you have it) and place the lid back on the pot and cook a bit longer. After rice has finished cooking, turn the burner off.
While rice is cooking, slice turkey sausage into quarter inch slices, or whatever thickness you prefer.
In another large pot, turn burner to medium heat and add minced garlic and sausage
After browning the sausage, add frozen vegetables and cook through. Then add rice from the first pot. You may add a little at a time then combine. Then add creole seasoning to taste. I added a tablespoon.